The confusion around traveling internationally is one of most common topics in the Amsterdam Mamas Facebook group. And the answers get complicated very quickly. In this episode, we bring on Ian Curry-Sumner, a freelance consultant in international family law, to address one of our most frequently-asked questions: what documentation does a parent need to travel alone with a child? We discuss:
- Why parents need to provide documentation while traveling solo with children
- What is the best practice for traveling solo with children from the Netherlands
- Why there is confusion about what documentation to provide
- Why the border checks are not consistent
- The difference between the EU and Schengen area
- What special situations might warrant other documents
Donna Bardsley is the travel-loving mother of three homebodies who hate to leave the house. After living in Amsterdam for six years, she has recently moved her family back to the US where she is experiencing all the joys of reverse culture shock.